Scratched slabs

Discussion in 'U.S. Classic Coins' started by Al Berry, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Al Berry

Al Berry Well-Known Member

I am watching some coins on ebay, where the pictures clearly show slabs that are scratched. Coins dont look good because or this. Can you use a a mild abrasive like toothpaste or headlight cleaner to make the slabs more clear? If so there may be some under market buys available. Has anyone done this?

2. pcunix

pcunix Guest

Never done it, but I have read about it. They warn you to polish in one direction only and not circularly if you ever want to be able to photograph the coin again.

3. ken454

ken454 Founding Member

i've heard that PlastX works well in removing light scratches, have not used it myself but seen it recommended on other forums...

4. ken454

ken454 Founding Member

5. UNLVino

UNLVino Founding Member

There are actually some you tube videos that demonstrate clearing scratches from slabs. Results look good - but I have never tried it at home and am unsure if any slabs were hurt during filming :cool:

Manfred Schmidt and Silver like this.
  6. Scott Gardener

Scott Gardener Active Member

It's amazing the difference a holder makes! I'll confess to passing on a few coins because scratches made the coin hard to see. After tilting and squinting, I could see the coin itself was fine, but I did not want to have to go through the trouble, time, and expense to reholder. My number one best coin is in an NGC holder, and I'm considering regrading it, primarily for the newer scratch-resistant holder. (That, and it has prongs, which make small coins easier to see. Mine is a quarter eagle, and its edges are buried in a tunnel right now. And, it's my best coin.)

7. GuY

GuY Well-Known Member

Slab-renew is good to use. Definitely some under market buys available.

8. John Maben

John Maben Moderator Staff Member

The issue of scratched NGC and PCGS holders has existed since inception. Most, repeat... most.... arrive directly from both services scratched. If you get one that isn't it doesn't take long before it will be. Even the scratch resistant holders scratch up.Third party grading service holders were designed to protect the coin and to secure it for grading purposes. They do a good job of both but are not designed to look pristine and stay that way over time. I'm guessing that if they were the cost for the parts might double or even triple-- a good enough reason for a lack of motivation on the TPG's part to create such a holder. Some products can improve minor scratching on plastic, but as noted could also make them worse. Just remember that expecting a perfect slab from any dealer is unrealistic and less than perfect slabs are through no fault of the dealer most of the time. That said, we go the extra step of making sure nothing goes out to a customer that is more than just typical in the way of light random scratches.

ken454 likes this.
  9. GuY

GuY Well-Known Member

I recommend keeping slabs in cases or I've got a few that are in individual small zip locks. A set I received from Pinehurst came in trademarked zip locks so I've kept them that way for added protection against scratches.

10. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

I may have to look into that. I have a few slabs with scratches that make photographing them very difficult.

11. joel

joel Well-Known Member

I've the same thing. I bought some and tried it. I worked ok for MINOR scratches. Read some other forums and they said you really have to work at to get the deep ones out, but I have not tried to see if it works.

Manfred Schmidt and GuY like this.
  12. GuY

GuY Well-Known Member

Thank you for your experience, strength and hope :D

13. Scott Gardener

Scott Gardener Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. I did notice the phrase "scratch-resistant," which is not the same as "scratch-proof."

14. pcunix

pcunix Guest

Did you attempt any photography after the polishing? That's what is making me hesitant.

15. eddie01

eddie01 Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with PlastX by Meguiar's. Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. Works good on small scratches and cleaning and removing clouding. Use a very soft, flannel like cotton cloth. Deep scratches are going to be a little more difficult to impossible. As far as photographing after cleaning, I have not tried, but I can not see any visible marks left by the cleaning. I always protect my slabs in a box or zip lock bag temporarily until I can get in to the box.

Manfred Schmidt, SilverPIC and WNN like this.
  16. JAS0N888

JAS0N888 Active Member

I always thought the plastic they use is way to soft. i use Plastx too, i`m trying to convince myself it works.