FREEBIE!

Discussion in 'Contests and Give-aways' started by Phillip Meade, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Phillip Meade

Phillip Meade Well-Known Member

EVERYONE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE! Please read carefully!!!!

Ok folks, I'm gonna try something here to try and get a little forum participation going....

Kinda similar to the "introduce yourself" thread, but with a twist:

So first, my intention is to try and get some activity going in the forum. I've been a member here since 2014. Back then, this place was hopping! I'm not sure what happened since then, but here lately, it's been a little slow. No fault of anyone here, I'm certain. Im curious as to why this is.?.?.

Maybe because of the many Facebook groups that have cropped up that buy/sell/trade/auction coins and bullion? I know I've found myself spending a lot of time over there too. That was the main reason for my lackluster participation here. But I will reiterate - I'm making an attempt to be more prevalent here from now on.

Let's see if we can get things started off by offering a FREEBIE! - open to every member - admin team also welcome, and are encouraged to chime in - as my intention is to find out a little bit about everyone and their particular interests....and we would like to know who the team is that keeps the light on!

So it's going to go like this:

Jump in this thread, and give a little intro as who you are, where you're from, what your particular interests are (coin, bullion, etc). Maybe share some expertise, your favorite coin, type, bullion, round....maybe throw out a recommendation as to what you would like to see in the future. A little something along those lines....

This will be a continuing thread, and will end at Noon Eastern time on December 15. That way we will have plenty of time to hopefully get most opportunities for members to post - and I will be adding prizes along the way - as we hit certain milestones (5 posts, 10 posts, 20 posts, etc) I will keep adding prizes to the pot. And in the end, I will use random.org to determine a big winner, a second place winner, a third place winner, and more - according to how many milestones we hit, we will have that many places to win!

And then will be able to ship and winners will have a new Christmas present to look forward to.

The main prize will consist of:

- (1) U.S. Mint 2003 Silver Proof Set (10 coins)
    - (1) 1927 D Peace Dollar
    - (1) 1854 Large Cent
    - (2) well circulated Barber Quarters
    - (2) well circulated Liberty Nickels
    - (1) Trayvax Summit wallet - brand new, never used (est value $20)

Other prizes will be added as the posts accumulate. Let's hope they do! IMG_7.jpg IMG_7.jpg IMG_7.jpg IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_7.jpg IMG_7.jpg IMG_7.jpg IMG_7.jpg IMG_7.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:25 AM
  2. Phillip Meade

Me first :)

Been into collecting since the mid 80s.

Have 7 kids combined with my wife, they all collect coins/bullion in some shape or form.

Middle daughter loves the Koalas and gryphon bars.

My favorite is the walking liberty design. Hence, I love the ASE. Partial to the Libertad, too. Like foreign silver, particularly the "sower" French Franc, and Helvetia Swiss Franc.

My expertise isn't much an expertise, but I am knowledgeable in the ASE and Norfed "Liberty Dollar"

I have a sweet collection of prints, exquisite artwork of our famous coin designers. Made with matching numbers - from our very own @Chuck . Probably my most prized collection. And I have a lot of different collections!

Been a MCF member since 2014

Silverbil47, eddie01 and SilverPIC like this.
  3. eddie01

eddie01 Well-Known Member

Me second. My favorite is also the Walking Liberty half dollar. Just completed a date short set MS64 65 66 all with great luster, nice eye appeal, no spots, no toning, best I could get strike. Like Buffalo's, $5 Indian Gold, and $20 St. Gaudens,
    Kookaburras in capsule and graded. Like specimens of Perth Mint coins. Even have some Spider man coins and swans. Like pre-WW1 Europe countries gold coin. Have no idea where I go next. Been a member of MCF since 2014, I think.

4. Phillip Meade

Yes, I can agree with the Perth series, and I love Kooks and Koalas. Forgive me tho, but just can't get over the major turnoff that is the queen on the obverse of all those. If it wouldn't be for that, I'd start a collection of the Kooks to start with

5. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

I love classic US coins. I like the US dimes and the Mercury dime is probably my favorite. After that would come the Morgans, Bust series, Indian cents and so on.

I do like some of the world bullion coins and my favorite has to be the Proof Britannia series. However, I am not a big fan of this year's issue.

I do hope to see more activity here and will try to post more often as well.

6. Phillip Meade

Yes, Adolph Weinman really hit it out of the park with the Walking Liberty and the Winged Liberty. Love them both, but especially the Walker.

Silverbil47 and eddie01 like this.
  7. Silverbil47

Silverbil47 Well-Known Member

Certainly would be nice to see the forum back the way it was in its heyday! Been a member since Dec 2013.
    As for myself, I started collecting back in the mid 70's but raising a family and life got in the way. Jumped back in a few years ago and got totally bitten by the Stacker Bug. I did get back into numismatic collecting and seem to enjoyed putting together some sets like the Lunars and the Libertads. I also went thru a phase where I picked up every silver coin I could find with "Sailing Ships" on them.
    My favorite series is the Walking Liberty Half and putting together a 41-47 uncirc short set was a real joy. I never get tired of admiring them. I also like unique coins but some of the gimmicky stuff out there does nothing for me.

8. SilverPIC

SilverPIC Well-Known Member

Me next! I started with the Peace dollar set as a way to have something to do by way of a hobby back in 2006. Once I completed a decent set - ungraded, I started collecting the ASE and move right on into the Britannia, kooks, koalas, libertads, maples, including many other RCM issues. Also many bullion series such as the Zombucks...
    I started Morgans but lacked the discipline to be smart about them so I sold them off. I looked for a challenge in the Ike dollar and have a ms65 set in circulated, ms67 in silver and pr69 in proofs.
    Britannia proofs are also a favorite of mine and anything by @Heidi Wastweet.

9. Phillip Meade

Everyone loving the walkers, it's proven, lol.

Those libertads are a catchy set, really like them

Silverbil47 and eddie01 like this.
  10. Phillip Meade

Sounds like you've collected quite the sets! Zombucks! Haven't heard that name in awhile. I have an autographed walker by Heidi. A favorite piece of mine :)

11. eddie01

You caught my attention with "picked up every silver coin I could find with "Sailing Ships" on them." Just this past week I took an urge to collect some coins with trains on them. Did not find too much. Spent out at $60.00. 7 coins..Everything from 1886 to 1986 Canada Dollar Vancouver proof with COA in box to Vegas slot token, to Trading dollars, Franklin Mint Bronze Medal, to 1887 - Railroad Train; Interstate Commerce Act Passed - Solid Bronze Medal. All for $60 bucks. Apparently trains have not caught on with coins, but it will be interesting. I like old trains, especially the steam.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  12. eddie01

TestCoinScanFaceToptoLeftDown (300x308).jpg I have some toned buffalo's and ASE's. Will scan and post. This is a test post using my printer/scanner. Dummy me had been using my camera. This seems to work much better. Does seem to diminish the luster though. Now I know a little more about pictures I see on e-bay that don't have as good as luster as when I receive them in real life.

Sorry I meant to post this on the Post a Toned Coin Thread.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Phillip Meade likes this.
  13. Phillip Meade

Is that a gold?

14. joe1320

joe1320 Well-Known Member

I started back in 1999 with the ASE Proof and the US Silver Proof Mint Sets. I then looked at Somalia Elephants and Australia Kookaburras. When I noticed the vastness of variants for the Somalia's and Kooks, I then looked at where the Elephant series started, Zambia. I have since also dove into those, graded and moved onto other silver bullion series. I have the Ukraine Archangels, Russian St. George the Victorious and the Rwanda African Wildlife Series. Another area of interest are silver one ounce domed coins. These are from around the world and to date, there are around 25 of them. My avatar is one of the latest, Thanks Louis for letting me know about this one. It represents the eclipse this past summer and is minted by a Native American Nation. I also collect odd shaped silver coins and a bit of staking.
    My most favorite of all is the Australian one ounce, one dollar silver Koala. That is the series that I love the most. Well that is a bit to write and read, take care all.

15. SilverPIC

All good stuff! lots of great stuff out of African nations.

Phillip Meade and joe1320 like this.
  16. joe1320

joe1320 Well-Known Member

Oh, I also collect Mexican 1 oz. Libertads PF and MS versions. That Reverse Proof is a nice one

17. Phillip Meade

Let's go members! Let's sound off!

Silverbil47, SilverPIC and joe1320 like this.
  18. Silverbil47

Silverbil47 Well-Known Member

I liked what you said about looking for a challenge and you put together an Ike set in MS65 circ, MS67 silver and PR69. That is exactly what I recently accomplished, and I really enjoyed searching and finding each coin. You tend to forget most of the individual conquest but there is a satisfaction in completing the set which is hard to put into words IMO. I pick up most of the current popular stuff but when I zero in on a specific project it is really energizing. I'm sure you all feel the same way. I'm always searching for that series that is a challenge and still affordable. There is so much satisfaction to this hobby and for the most part we don't plan on gaining great wealth from it. (The stacking end may pay off some day). OK just my two cents!

Phillip Meade, joe1320 and SilverPIC like this.
  19. SilverPIC

Still looking for my '71-S in 67. Maybe before the year is out...

Silverbil47 likes this.
  20. Manfred Schmidt

Manfred Schmidt Member

Steam2015R.JPG Steam2015O.JPG