first strike vs early release??

Discussion in 'U.S. Modern Coins' started by pauly, Jan 10, 2014.

1. pauly

pauly New Member

be it slabbed graded ms70 Pandas or silver eagles is there or should there be a price difference a does anyone know what these descriptions are from the standpoint of either NCG or PCGS?

2. theSharpGun

theSharpGun Founding Member

There is no difference at all behind the meanings, they are both BS terms made by the marketing teams of these TPG's. Unfortunately these marketing teams were successful because First Strikes do have slightly more demand than your average holder.

UNLVino and Vegas Jay like this.
  3. Vegas Jay

Vegas Jay No Longer a Registered User

Dang that's a solid answer man!!! Cool

Tim Monzert likes this.
  4. pauly

pauly New Member

Yea,I get that,but areTPG's saying the "First Strike" coins are say the first 5,10 or whatever thousand struck and the" First Release" are what?,possibly the next 50 or?? Was told by a distributor of the Chinese Panda's that NGC prefers to use one description and PCGS the other. I think he's wrong "cause saw on e-bay seller has 4 slabbed ms70 2 w/red label,2-with a blue label two were FS,other two FS,but all 4 were NCG I'm aware that I would be hardpressed to tell the quality diff between even a MS69 and &70 let alone these other designations banded about. However I do purchase these once a year for the grandkids and have always bought the MS70 graded also buy one for myself and put them all in the safe depo box,noway will give to them till 18 maybe by then they will have some worth So it important to me to buy the best now if the marketplace rewards them with higher prices justifiably or not so be it

Wendell and Vegas Jay like this.
  5. theSharpGun

No I don't know exactly the time frames but it works like this.
    If you submit ASE's within 2 weeks of the ASE being released then you get the First Strike Designation.
    Then if you submit ASE's after 2 weeks but within a month then you get an Early Strike Designation. Or something like that. There is no way to know for sure whether your silver eagle was one of the first 10,000 minted or one of the first 10 million minted. It's all BS.

Wendell and Vegas Jay like this.
  6. JAS0N888

JAS0N888 Active Member

i never understood the hype on the First Strike/Early Release nonsense. its actually harder to a find a slab of these without the FS/ER designation .
    as far as the first strike, first strike of what? the first die? they obviously use more than one die. how about " Early Release First Strike First Die one of the first 1000 Struck" designation lol

Vegas Jay and theSharpGun like this.
  7. EdS

EdS Founding Member

I agree that FS/ER have only a passing reflection on their order of production, freshness of mint dies, etc., since those coins released initially are only those lucky enough to have been loaded from the storeroom of coins that were actually minted ahead of the release date by their respective mint and delivered to the respective grading company within the first 30 days following the release date. It has been stated elsewhere on this forum that Early Release is a more accurate representation of the product than First Strike, -which seems to be a true assertion.

It has been previously stated that the ER/FR labeled coins seem to be more commonly available than those without this designation. This is certainly true for some period of time given that volume dealers have placed most of their orders based upon anticipated total sales and rushed them for grading.

With all this being said, when I am shopping for a specific coin and find two with identical grade, matching labels and prices, I will invariably pick the one with FS/ER on the label in preference to the one without.

Thus far, there seems to be no premium for the ER/FS label, except when a certain dealer may be trying to "dump" his ones without this designation. Will it make any $ difference in the distant future-who knows? Probably not (IMO), but seems to be primarily a darling of the marketing people now.

Wendell and theSharpGun like this.
  8. theSharpGun

I see your point. If I was working on a set preferably I'd like all the same labels. Unfortunately the problem is that the TPG's are so easily able to manipulate this market to create rare slabs, labels, and such. Atleast IMO

Wendell likes this.
  9. EdS

EdS Founding Member

Am not so sure how easy it is for them, but they do!

Wendell likes this.
  10. EdS

EdS Founding Member

Then some coins(mostly from Perth, I think) have labels like "#267 of 1st 2500", etc.------have seen this mostly in ANACS, so who knows! :cool:

Wendell likes this.
  11. theSharpGun

Unfortunately these ideas are successful and therefore get spread around more. I mean I'm fine with the coins I get because I buy them by predicting how in demand they might be in 10yrs. Labels might not matter so much then but I guess if some people like particular labels or slabs now, more power to them.

Wendell likes this.
  12. EdS

EdS Founding Member

Agree with all u say--all that crap adds to the "provenance" of the product now and, perhaps?, in the future.

Wendell likes this.
  13. theSharpGun

Maybe in the future. The problem for future collectors will be figuring out how to weed through all the BS like FS/ER. It will be interesting to see how the hobby evolves.

Wendell likes this.
  14. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

Actually there is not difference between First Strike and Early release. They are both based on the first 30 days of production. One TPG may use 30 days of striking and one might use shipped withing 30 days but the time period is exactly the same. Neither means they are struck on fresh dies as some of the dies will need to be replaced before the 30 day period is up.

Wendell likes this.
  15. theSharpGun

But there is clearly no physical or visual difference to the coin. It doesn't matter if if was minted in the first 30 days or the first 3 months.

Wendell likes this.
  16. EdS

EdS Founding Member

My point is Early Release (hard to argue the point that it was released from the mint in first thirty days) is really more representative of the situation, than the implication of the term First Strike.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Wendell likes this.
  17. EdS

EdS Founding Member

You're correct, but I have said in a previous posting, that generations from now, a collector may look at that FS/ER on the label and think: "That Dude was quick on the trigger"..........:D

Wendell and theSharpGun like this.
  18. theSharpGun

haha I wonder how many people will actually think that. Who knows though? Maybe you're right.

Wendell likes this.
  19. Paul Maritz

Paul Maritz Founding Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Wendell likes this.
  20. joel

joel Well-Known Member

There is also no way to know when the coins were struck at the mint. We don't know if they use a FIFO (First In First Out) or LIFO (Last In First Out) procedure when it comes to shipping. If LIFO, then the FS/ER coins are actually the last ones off the line for that month. No way to tell. Only matters if you get it to NGC/PCGS within 30 days or to PCGS in unopened box if bought before the window passed and you plan on shipping after the window closed.

Wendell likes this.