world coins nice to look at but are they worth it?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by james kubek, Dec 17, 2013.

1. james kubek

james kubek New Member

mints across the world like the pirth mint in Australia make way to many gimmicky coins, coins in the shape of the country are not coins either are colorized coins they are noveltys at best.if an American eagle had a mintage of 5 thousand coins it would be worth huge money.all though these coins have low mintages they make way to many different kinds of coins. i am glad the u.s makes only real coins. these forein coins can cost over a hundred a coin for an once of silver they are way over priced and will never make you any money. a coin should be a coin round and not colorized. save your money and buy real coins American coins no color no dumb shape and no stupid reason like a coin for colt ect....

2. Mark Rex

Mark Rex Active Member

While I think some of their coins are really neat and I would like to own some - the price makes it impossible. Even if I had the cash the burn I would still invest into bullion or some American Numismatic pieces.

3. Tom Austin

Tom Austin Well-Known Member

If you are into silver only as an investment then I agree with you these type art coins don't make sense. There are such large premiums that silver would have to go nuts for you to make any money and you could make a lot more buying simple bullion coins. Likewise if you are a prepper and waiting for economic collapse then these don't make sense. But if you are a coin collector, in addition to these things, and like having beautiful things to look at then they will. If you have the money and can afford it then go for it. Most of the coins are actually under $100 if you buy them in the same year they are issued and they aren't graded. Think of them as a guilty pleasure if you like. Sort of like eating that expensive, super rich desert at the restaurant when you know you will have to watch what you eat for a couple of weeks to make up for it.

Silverbil47 and Paul Maritz like this.
  4. Paul Maritz

Paul Maritz Founding Member

lol You sum it up perfectly!

5. Paul Maritz

6. Chuck

Chuck Administrator Staff Member

I think comparing these coins to bullion silver is like comparing apples and oranges. They are completely different, thus their pricing is completely different.

First thing, bullion usually comes in tubes, in large boxes. The 'vanity' coins come in very fancy display boxes with certificates. That stuff costs a lot of money to produce.

Second, bullion is minted in the millions. Die costs, setup time, and all of that can easily be absorbed into the cost of the product. You still have to do the same work to mint 2,500 coins, but far fewer pieces to absorb the cost, so each one costs more.

With silver at $20, production COST on these types of coins is often OVER $50. Die making, design, box design, certificate design, printing, cutting the boxes, the insert (jewel case), metal for the coins, minting, post-mint colorizing, packaging, shipping, etc.

Buying short-run colorized coins and private commission coins made by the Perth Mint is not an "investment" - it's a collectible thing. My wife loves birds (cockatoos, parrots, etc.) so I get her one of every bird coin in one-ounce silver I find. It's not about the silver, that just ties the set together. I spend between $75 and $100 per coin without ANY consideration that I could be buying a silver eagle for less than half that. I don't want the silver eagle, it doesn't have a parrot on it. Get it?

7. SilverDollar

SilverDollar Active Member

I have to agree with chuck i don't think you can really compare i do think some mints make some pretty ridiculous and frivolous coins. At the same time though many of them are pretty cool and the market for them because of the low mintage i believe will actually turn many of them into a good future investment !! Not all but I'm sure some will be worth a lot !

8. Jason Greene

Jason Greene Member

I try to stack both ways, bullion and coin collecting. It adds some excitement to it. I was getting bored with just silver eagles ans maple leafs. And I have made good money on graded coins, proofs and other colorized coins. But like others said, thats a different market than bullion stackers

9. Chuck

Still yet my statement stands that buying the short-mintage colorized "cool" coins is not an investment. It's a way of having shiny things that cover a subject you like or a design you think is pretty. It about boils down to that. If I want a pound of silver, I'm going to buy a pound of silver...but my wife loves cockatoos, and I buy those coins for that reason alone - because we like them.

Red and Paul Maritz like this.
  10. Jason Greene

Jason Greene Member

Its still an investment. If I buy a michael jordan rookie card, its just cardboard. But its still an investment. Could be a good investment, could be a bad one. But a lot of the short mintage and colorized coins hold real high premiums far beyond what you pay as a collectable. Especially years later

Paul Maritz likes this.
  11. Louis Golino

Louis Golino Founding Member

Paul Maritz likes this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Member

13. Mitch

Mitch Member

YES / Foreign Coins (being Precious metals) are my Favorite. USA (boring same own same (the Eagle Over and Over) Come on (and "hence we design after a symbol that is and went almost extinct, (I sure wish the EAGLE coin would) It is like people "Really think Gauden "was a Saint"... He made 1 Ok coin and no 1 would design "others"Yet the Mint has so many Pattern coins (that come on could 1 not pulled a design from 1 of those? Arabic Coins Offer great Numismatic values the Pahlahvi 1/2-10 (going to 100 gram plus coins. Turkish coins 1 of (well lets go to Lydian coins, they started the "machine rolling. S.America vast variations. 1875 A is must have (now a 1 year coin as the 1925 Poland (then we can move to Ecuador where 1899/1900 was the 10 sucre Gold (56k) made Quetazales 5 10 20 wonderful beautiful and Bolivia (1 yr type) So many the Uruguay 1930 5 peso well wow a 1/4 ounce Gold for Independence (and trades as just cost of new 1/4 ounce coin (yet only 14K made then Hoard found as RCM did of the 1912-14 (1914) being only 1 I care to Keep Buying += to our USA Bored to death Liberty 5 or indian in (.AGW) Yet URUGUAY kicked it to curb (is over a 1/4 by .0001 and has engraving on edges (missing whole vast world of coins IF USA biased The 20 Kroner Sweden Denmark (.2593 Heavy Gold) and sell at 5/8% Over spot Yet 1/1000th Mintages of what USA did in 1 YEAR (but over a 15 year span.

British Sov's a waste of Time (in my book) the Most made Gold coin (other then Modern Usa Eagle (again) but 1880 variety Pay attention. Spain (what we used as 1st Money the Escudu now we off to say 30-80 variations of Mints to Columbia and Mexico ( Cuba 5 10 20 peso made in USA (Yet rare low mintages the 1915 carry Great value and have Proof coins to the 2 /4 peso (Newfoundland 2$ Gold/200 pennies/100 pence back to 1800's
    The beloved (where did Isle of man get 1/5th oz/Crown from the 10 Guilder of Netherlands at agw. .1947 ( Then we have the Nice 20 Hungarian 20 that also matches (if right years the Gold of Netherlands at .1947 (the 10 with 1/2) IF have wrong Years 1 gets a = to the 20 Franc/swiss .1867 (the 100 Franc/100 Hungarian is same AGW as Double eagle
    YET think people so lazy to o home work on coins? OR (I gues I need Opinions why keep going after what ALL the rest are when every Country Made Coins (with = or more gold then USA and actually forced us as nation to (GET our own money)

I use a stella as (many say why 4$?) YES why 4$ (we all know the 3 $ was for Postal stamps and why so many in Great condition as went from bank to Post office and STOPPED there.
    the USA 1 2 1/2 D and 5 were working Coins. The world has many GIFTS just low hanging fruit (that at coin shows 1 can get a Very rare coin for little above spot as owner has no idea what holding. Russian Roubles WOW we have Gold silver Platinum and palladium (what a Variation) The Reis Gold WOW now that shows inflation of gold (like no other) as the number went very high (and the Haitian Gold) WOW Great finds.
    S.Africa the 1 that set standard of (the Pond = to sov then went to the 1 /2 rand then set the world on TROY ounce 1/10th to 1 ounce (in 1 coin 1 could get even amount (no more fractional ) YET then go back URUGUAY set that in 1930 Denmark went above and beyond in 1800's.
    Every Nation has at least made 4 metals in coins (precious USA 3) We starve for Palladium / Same coins roll out with a president head or spouse (same as a quarter or 5 cents ..

What I gather after all the looking at coins (is USA has to keep Marketing Old coins and coming up with (a space between a date or (To feed the "book writers and that of the 1's that will not look past the Border.

Have barely touched world Egypt (Piastre ) Italy wow how many variations can we go there?
    Mints mints and more mints ( just take look at the Global Mints in world Very many GOVT mints (those that existed far before our country ever did. Also take look at nations Coinage that do not exist any-more ? There are EASY RARE finds out there (just cannot be "stuck on 1 Place, 'being the world is flat.
    Most wonderful coins are NOT From HERE (they our out-side the borders) Even Franklin Mint did fine job when countries had no mint (but went in and designed a Coin.
    See the Mints (see the past) Now 1 cannot master this all in weeks or months (yet 1 can get a very good quick look at all the Variations that are out there just waiting for (as most Melt when come into border as coin shops to lazy to look up or care (NOW they are starting to Care.

I Hold a date Run Set of USA coins 1 in NGC and 1 in PCGS of Modern (and Of Old have assembled to Highest grades I could the variations going back to 1/2 disme Of George Washington / YET I find and Found that very boring when at atrat of Coin collecting and "going to the countries direct and mints direct To BUY.
    I find Myself almost annual for last 10 years going to Mexico (to stand n Line on re-lease date for Libertads /Onza's
    (as go country country (open bank accounts as India (only way to get the Mohur at fair price from AXIS bank in Gold and now Silver/ Just as Scotia does with/did per Valcambi in Canada (where is the USA gold Bank's and Precious metals Banks??

No-where (want People re-main Power-less...
    Much more to say (but get Theme (GLOBAL is Power and Portfolio...)

14. SilverDollar

You must be diverse i collect american coins of all kinds but i believe in having a diverse portfolio so i have been buying slabbed world coins hear and their both new and old and i love to see how different countries make their coins !! Coin collecting is personal preference if you want to get only us coins then only get us coins their is no one to stop you !!!

Paul Maritz likes this.
  15. Mitch

Mitch Member

Definitely Right (Diverse is word that is KEY) Love it.. Sounds great to me / That is always my main point (types and graded and non /plus metals and "variety". You have it Right.

Paul Maritz likes this.
  16. Paul Maritz

lol I love it! Thank you Chuck. It should be framed. You clearly get it and get it. :D

17. Chuck

Thanks Paul. Many people have many different reasons why they do what they do, and should be respectful of the reasons of others. I'm noticing some campaigning for certain reasons for doing what some do, and that's fine as long as it doesn't cross the line of offending others with one's agenda.

As I see it there are:

1. People who collect coins because they like them, or that completing a set is a challenge they wish to take on (I belong in this group). This group will skip over a hot item promised to be a great investment because - well - it's ugly.

2. People who buy coins as a way of gaining value into the future - an 'investment'. They are far more concerned with mintage numbers and market trends then they are with the design or whether the piece appeals to them.

3. People who are ONLY in this for having the biggest stack of metal. They don't care what's on the metal, they just want the heaviest transaction for the lowest price.

I understand and respect ALL of these methods, because they all have their merits. But it's imperative that people realize that not everyone sees it their way. I could no more want a silver door stop than I want another hole in my head. I also don't care about how much my wife's cocaktoo coin will be worth in a year. But I RESPECT the kinds of people who do those things.

Paul Maritz likes this.
  18. Louis Golino

Louis Golino Founding Member

I agree with Chuck about the various motivations for collecting and buying and of course about the importance of not trying to convince people your way is the only way. I would add that most collectors/buyers are in more than one camp. I buy some coins as an investment in numismatic rarity and in precious metal content and others just for fun. But since money is limited I try to mainly get item that cover as many bases as possible. And if you read my article from American Hard Assets, you will see that there are some world coins that have investment potential, but for the most part they should be bought for enjoyment, as it is lot easier to lose than to make money with coins.

Paul Maritz likes this.
  19. SilverDollar

i personally love the dedication people put into completing collects or sets but that is not me i buy what ever i see fit fro example i have 3 slabbed 1963 proof silver quarters but not a single one from 1964 !!! i think that what makes me happy is not to stick with one set but to get a little of everything and keep my collection diverse !!

20. Bobwins

Bobwins New Member

Originally I bought some good old American Silver Eagles along with 90% junk silver and silver bars. I was convinced by a more experienced coin collector that the Perth Mint coins were a better bullion purchase. Why? Because the ASE's have such a huge mintage, there is no scarcity except for unusual sets produced by the US Mint. Look at normal ASE bullion coins from different years. How much more is a 2004 ASE worth than a 2013? They are worth around the same unless there was something unusual about the earlier year. So you get no premium for older ASE's. Compare that to Perth Mint coins. Yes, they can get gimmicky and issue too many varieties of the same coin but they limit the issue to 300K for the bullion coin and much less for proof versions vs unlimited for ASE bullion coins. That gives some rarity to the lunar coins and they issue some gorgeous coins.

I do have some great 25th anniversary ASE's that are worth significantly more than bullion but those are the exception rather than the rule. I was also warned about the colored and gilded coins but I like the looks of some of the colored coins and continue to buy them. My personal favorite is the red colored 2012 lunar dragon. My first and only granddaughter was born in 2012 and I have lots of the various varieties of the 2012 lunar dragon in terms of size, color and type.

I pay more for lunar bullion coins but I can get more for them if/when I decide to sell them. I still buy 90% junk silver to stack but like the lunar coins for bullion AND some price appreciation potential.