question about washington proof quarters

Discussion in 'U.S. Classic Coins' started by Six, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Six

Six Well-Known Member

Ok so i just won an auction for 9 proof quarters with dates from 1956 thru 1964. These are raw ungraded coins.

I won them for 66 dollars.

Did i do good or did i screw myself?

I had looked in my 2014 blue book and it listed them at about 8 bucks each For PF-65.
  2. Georgie Porgie

Georgie Porgie Active Member

Are any of them cameo? I don't know much about value on those. May as well get an album and keep going.
  3. Six

Six Well-Known Member

I didn't know they had the cameo back then. I had thought the cameo ones started in the 90s. Shows what i know... Which is nothing.

These are just proofs. Little mirrors.
  4. Georgie Porgie

Georgie Porgie Active Member

Rare, but there are some that have been graded dcam and Ultra cam
  5. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

They have had Proof Cameos very early on. They were some of the first coins struck with the dies. Here is my 1867 dime. You might want to check your quarters when you get them!

US 010 1867 PR 64 CAM OBV PCGS CAC.jpg
  6. Six

Six Well-Known Member

Wow that's really nice!!! Thanks for sharing David.

And thanks for the info i had no idea the US cameos went back that far. I wonder why i had it in my head that they started in the 90s :oops:
  7. ken454

ken454 Founding Member

if u go to ebay an search 1956 quarter then on left clik ngc or pcgs an proofs u will see graded coins in cameo and you can compare them to yours...
    Six likes this.
  8. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

The mint is able to produce a better quality product now than they were in the past. Cameos and ultras cameos were the product of fresh dies and early strikes and that effect quickly wore off the dies.

The dies and techniques are much better now so they cameos and ultra cameos are much more common. Also cameos are almost unheard of for some series like Mercury dimes. If you can find one it will be very expensive!
    Six likes this.
  9. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Silver goes up, you're good. If it goes down, well..
    If you are happy with them, it does not really matter what you paid. $66 is not that big a hit in the overall scheme of things.
  10. Six

Six Well-Known Member

Ok gotcha... I overplayed ;)

I try not buy stuff like that because i don't know what I'm doing and don't have the time to learn it well enough to break even.

Thanks for the reply though!!
  11. Chuck

Chuck Administrator Staff Member

Thing is with these coins is that a LOT of proof sets were opened for one coin or another, and the rest are just - well, common. Most of the silver that didn't grade is sold at just above melt, so you didn't do poorly considering where melt is now.

Lincoln cent proofs from those dates, when graded with cameo, can stretch upward from $50-$100...but the non-cameo, non-grades run about $15-$20 per 50 coin roll.
    Six likes this.