Pricing for Baseball Hall of Fame Curved Coins

Discussion in 'U.S. Modern Coins' started by RichH, Mar 20, 2014.

1. RichH

RichH Active Member

From today's Mint News Blog.....
    [​IMG]

The United States Mint has released details on the pricing for the upcoming National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins. Available in proof or uncirculated versions, the $5 gold coins, silver dollars, and clad half dollars are scheduled to go on sale next week, Thursday, March 27, 2014.
    The $5 gold coins, which will be limited to a maximum mintage of 50,000 pieces across all product options, will be priced based on the same grid utilized for the 2013 commemorative coins. As with other numismatic gold products, pricing for the coins will be established based on the average market price of gold for the prior weekly period. The price will be subject to potential change on a weekly basis.
    If the average price of gold for the coming week remains within the $1,300 to $1,349.99 range, then the uncirculated version of the coin would be priced at $419.75 and the proof version would be priced at $424.75. These prices reflect a $5 discount available during the introductory period.
    The silver dollars are limited to a mintage of 400,000 across all product options. Under introductory pricing the uncirculated version of the coin will be $47.95 and the proof version will be $51.95. After the conclusion of the introductory period on April 28, regular pricing of $52.95 for the uncirculated and $56.95 for the proof coins will go into effect.
    These prices are slightly higher compared to the 2014 Civil Rights Act of 1964 Silver Dollars released earlier this year. Price levels for the earlier program were $3 less per uncirculated coin and $2 less per proof coin.
    The Baseball Hall of Fame clad Half Dollars will be limited to a mintage of 750,000 pieces and carry introductory pricing of $18.95 for the uncirculated version and $19.95 for the proof version. After the introductory period, regular prices will be $22.95 for uncirculated and $23.95 for proof coins.
    These prices reflect an increase of $2 per coin compared to the price levels for last year’s 2013 5-Star Generals clad Half Dollars.
    The prices above include a surcharge of $35 per gold coin, $10 per silver dollar, and $5 per half dollar, which will be distributable to the National Baseball Hall of Fame to help finance its operations.
    Additional coverage and commentary on the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins will be provided ahead of the release date.
    Jeffkon5 likes this.
  2. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Gotta pay to play, I guess and a lot of us will.
  3. joe1320

joe1320 Well-Known Member

I am going for just one silver proof.
  4. UNLVino

UNLVino Founding Member

5. joe1320

Too bad the silver coins are not .999, only .9 Probably because of the curvature of the coin or the mint just wants to make more money.
  6. pcunix

pcunix Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that shape could introduce all sorts of unexpected problems, from minting to packaging. This could be a rich well of errors and, if they have to make corrections as they go along, die varieties.
  7. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

I would love to get one of the gold ones but they are just out of my price range right now. Especially after my two recent purchases.
  8. pcunix

pcunix Well-Known Member

I'm going to stretch for that and get at least two, maybe three, plus a few silvers. It will sting, but I think it will be worth it.
  9. DSalyer

DSalyer Well-Known Member

I believe so as well. Just tapped out.
  10. pcunix

pcunix Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I had a couple of Fugio Cents planned for this year but will put them off in favor of this.
  11. pcunix

pcunix Well-Known Member

But then again, I might profit enough to buy the Fugios anyway. Unless the Russians and the Chinese stop buying gold - that could pop the bullion, but seems unlikely given everything going on now.

I guess if the Galactic Overlords land, take over, show us how to feed and supply our energy needs for free and enforce world peace, my investment might lose value overnight. I'll take that chance :)
  12. Mark Rex

Mark Rex Active Member

I read recently that the US Mint may be making a change from 'Coin Silver' (90% silver, 10% copper) to 'Fine Silver' (99.9%+ silver) for all silver coinage they produce including commeratives and proof coins. The question was asked by the Mint in a survey a few months ago but I haven't heard anything more on the subject yet. It was said that it would be cheaper for the US Mint to obtain fine silver blanks than for coin silver blanks because it takes out a step in the production of the coin silver - adding the copper.
  13. joe1320

I read the same thing and was part of that survey. The Teddy Roosevelt coin that came out is .999 silver. Wonder if that is a cursor of things to come.
  14. theSharpGun

theSharpGun Founding Member

So here's something funny I read. This is from an AOL article and I have a feeling that the writer didn't do his homework:

"The mint will create 50,000 $5 gold coins, 400,000 $1 silver coins and 750,000 half-dollar coins to recognize and celebrate the National Baseball Hall of Fame's 75th anniversary.

Pretty cool, right? But these coins will cost you!

Each $5 coin costs $35, each $1 coin costs $10 and each half-dollar costs $5. The U.S. mint notes those surcharges will help fund the nonprofit National Baseball Hall of Fame."

Can you imagine the gold pieces at $35 each!?!?! I wish that was the price but I think the prices that the writer is referring to is the premium over the melt value. That $5 gold piece will be easily over $400 as the OP mentioned.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/13/curved-coins-celebrate-america-s-favorite-pastime/20849422/?icid=maing-grid11|mobile|dl3|sec1_lnk1&pLid=453583