1996 ASE, A Closer Look.

Discussion in 'Bullion Coins and Precious Metals' started by Vegas Jay, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Vegas Jay

Vegas Jay No Longer a Registered User

image.jpg
    1996 ASE, A Closer Look.
    Did you know that the 1996 ASE saw the lowest bullion coin mintages for the entire series at only 3,603,386 which has resulted in the 96' Eagle to carry a very nice premium.
    The United States Mint also offered the 1996 Proof Silver Eagle for collectors. These coins were priced at $23.00 and carried a maximum authorized mintage of 500,000 coins. The entire amount was sold out. This represented the first sell out since the United States Mint began establishing a maximum authorized mintage in 1990.
    1996 Silver Eagle Mintages
    Bullion Mintage: 3,603,386
    Proof Mintage: 498,293
    Coin Specifications
    Mint Mark: none (bullion), P (proof)
    Designers: Adolph A. Weinman (obverse), John Mercanti (reverse)
    Composition: 99.93% silver, 0.07% copper
    Weight: 31.101 grams (1.000 ounces)
    Diameter: 40.6 mm (1.598 inches)
    Thickness: 2.98 mm (0.117 inches)
    Edge: Reeded
    Some information provided by,
    SilverEagleGuide.com
    Again thank you all for checking out another one of my many neat threads. Really if you found this thread to be interesting, enjoyable to read, educational or just plain Awesome! Let me know by hitting that little like button below, yea that's the one! Thank you.
    - Vegas Jay
    km04, GuY and MichaelJohn like this.
  2. MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn New Member

Very informative post. I knew the 1996 Eagles were very collectable but didnt realize how low the mintage was. I would love to add a high grade 96 to my collection especially a proof.
    GuY likes this.
  3. Vegas Jay

You will man, just don't stop trying bro!!!
  4. GuY

GuY Well-Known Member

Love the information threads on silver coins, trying to learn more about what coins are collectible and what makes them collectible. It's more fun than just buying silver bullion but more risky. *thumbs up* on another good thread J
    Vegas Jay likes this.
  5. km04

km04 Well-Known Member

Jay, thanks for the info and the link. I'm with Guy on this one, looks like I need to read up on Silver Eagles...since I most likely will start collecting them...
    GuY and Vegas Jay like this.
  6. Vegas Jay

Thanks GuY, for real man that means a ton to me dude! VJ
    GuY likes this.
  7. Vegas Jay

Awesome. Try to remember if your out and about at antique shops, flea markets or yard sales and see good looking 96's for close to spot it's a steal. Grab em up. I didn't mention coin shops because they usually already know. Thank you for reading and posting km04! Your awesome and don't give up ever, you will get it all figured out in no time at all! Vegas Jay
    GuY likes this.
  8. km04

km04 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I certainly will keep an eye out. If you see 'em for cheap, grab me a couple...;);););)
    GuY and Vegas Jay like this.
  9. Vegas Jay

Lol, OK!!! Your funny man
  10. km04

km04 Well-Known Member

Made you laugh...hopefully milk didn't shoot out of your nose.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Vegas Jay likes this.
  11. GuY

GuY Well-Known Member

This is a page I read when I first started hunting and gathering. Pay more attention to the read and not the ebay prices. I especially enjoy the part on how American Silver Eagles were started. It gives some background to the 1981 stockpile and a big reason why I like the Continental Coin bullion minted from US Assay Strategic Stockpiles of silver from San Francisco.
    http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/American-silver-eagle-bullion-coins.html#NGC
    km04 and Vegas Jay like this.
  12. Vegas Jay

I've noticed GuY that you really do enjoy US Assay Strategic Stockpiles of silver from San Francisco. That's good tho man, some of my favorite silver as well. This is a awesome read! A great informative post. Thumbs up all the way GuY!
    GuY likes this.
  13. km04

km04 Well-Known Member

Thanks GuY, more reading for me.
    GuY likes this.
  14. GuY

GuY Well-Known Member

No problem guys. I'm very interested in the history of silver and current perspectives or influences. Any more informative threads let me know I'm all ears (eyes). o_O
  15. Tom Austin

Tom Austin Well-Known Member

When you said only 3,603,386 it sparked something in my mind. Are there any counts of how many people have bought silver eagles? I ask this in the context of do we really have over 3 million people who buy silver eagles? I know mintage for current eagles is over 40 million but always assumed that some folks(or banks) buy them in the tens of thousands. Interesting thought and would definitely have a bearing on whether these coins are a good investment and worth the premium.
  16. Vegas Jay

Hey Tom good to hear from ya buddy! Respectfully I didn't just make this stuff up, it's facts. 96's have always been in demand it's just a matter of how high and low the premium goes from time to time. If you get a chance compare a few on eBay vs other ASE's or this can be done at any local coin shop with 96's in stock. U know, I can't explain why I like them so much but I'd have to say its persistent premium is attractive. I get em low hold em till I see the trend swing up on their premium, dump em for a profit and buy more low where I can find them.
    Great talking with you this morning!
  17. Tom Austin

Tom Austin Well-Known Member

Wasn't saying you made anything up Jay. I understand that's the way it is and has been. I just am trying to understand the logic behind these things so that I can judge what is a good buy or not a good buy. You should know me by now. I love to question things and find the man behind the curtain. I am genuinely curious about how many people are buying silver eagles vs how many silver eagles are sold.
  18. Vegas Jay

That's cool Tom my apologies, I misunderstood. VJ